Date:      Fri, 17 Jul 2015 12:35:50 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        freebsd-translators@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Using entities in translations

Seen on the DocBook mailing lists: a Fedora document that shows how
using entities in translations can go wrong:

https://jfearn.fedorapeople.org/en-US/Publican/4.0/html/Users_Guide/chap-Publican-Users_Guide-Creating_a_document.html#sect-Publican-Users_Guide-Entities_and_translation

An example there for using "Fedora" translated into a sentence in
Czech shows seven different forms.  Only one if them is actually
"Fedora".

The same situation applies to us.  &os; is converted to "FreeBSD" when
our documents are rendered, but in many situations it will be wrong.

So for most translations, we are probably better off just expanding
entities.  In general terms, that is probably the right way to go for
all languages.