Date:      Sun, 29 Apr 2018 17:10:57 +0100
From:      Mark Raynsford <list+org.freebsd.virtualization@io7m.com>
To:        freebsd-virtualization <freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@pdx.rh.CN85.dnsmgr.net>
Subject:   Re: Read-only view of a ZFS filesystem inside a bhyve guest?

--Sig_/2DL2Y_mqB8Y6vLpNuaxbBWh

On 2018-04-28T11:36:35 +0100
Mark Raynsford via freebsd-virtualization
<freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org> wrote:

> Well that's two in favour of NFS. I have one small question: Is there
> any way to stop nfsd from forking into the background? I run everything
> on the system under process supervision (runit), and this is the first
> time I've ever seen a daemon program with no option to stay in the
> foreground.
>=20
> I can write a wrapper in C that starts up rpcbind and nfsd (the former
> *does* have an option to stay in the foreground), but I'd rather not if
> I don't have to.

I spent a while writing a wrapper[0] that keeps nfsd in the foreground
and cleans up when it shuts down, only to discover that there's an
entirely undocumented --debug flag[1] that does the same thing.

[0] https://github.com/io7m/nfswrap-bsd
[1] https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd/blame/master/usr.sbin/nfsd/nfsd.c#L1=
05

--=20