Date:      Wed, 4 Mar 2020 11:18:44 +0100
From:      Gordon Bergling <gbergling@gmail.com>
To:        Josh Aas <josh@kflag.net>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: updating cron and atrun

Hi Josh,

did you had the time to setup a code repository where we can have a look =
at the progress you made? You did a fairly detailed analysis of the =
current =E2=80=9ECRON-situation=E2=80=9C and I hope you will make a step =
further on this.

Kind regards,

Gordon

https://wiki.freebsd.org/IdeasPage#Improve_cron.288.29_and_atrun.288.29
>=20
> I looked into the current code, commits from the past decade, and the
> lineage of other versions of cron to see if there is a reasonable plan
> for updating FreeBSD=E2=80=99s cron based on another version. It =
doesn't seem
> like there are any particularly productive new path to take here. ISC
> cron is old and unmaintained, and I don=E2=80=99t think NetBSD or =
OpenBSD cron
> is interesting enough to be worth entirely rebasing on. On top of
> that, FreeBSD cron seems to have some FreeBSD-specific functionality
> that we=E2=80=99d still need to maintain or =E2=80=9Cupstream=E2=80=9D =
elsewhere.
>=20
> I=E2=80=99d recommend continuing with the current status quo - keep =
FreeBSD=E2=80=99s