Date:      Wed, 04 Jun 1997 21:01:49 -0700
From:      "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
To:        Jim Dixon <jdd@vbc.net>
Cc:        "Pedro F. Giffuni" <pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co>, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: news server source for 95/NT

Jim Dixon <jdd@vbc.net> wrote:

>On Wed, 4 Jun 1997, Pedro F. Giffuni wrote:

>> Damian Hamill wrote:

>> > Does anyone know if there is there source available for a news server
>> > that builds on 95/NT ?

>> I don't think that exists (yet). AFAIK to run a news server on NT,
>> depending on the number of users you want, you require a license for a
>> Microsoft product. (The University of Oregon found that out and moved to
>> Linux.)
>> Use FreeBSD.

>> 	Pedro.

>Absolutely.  NT will require 50% (100%?) more DRAM and will never
>be able to carry a fully load without falling over.  FreeBSD makes
>an excellent news server.

Yes, FreeBSD (and NetBSD) make excellent news servers.  After all,
Usenet news was born on Unix.  And the BSDs make an excellent low-cost
low-resource platform for small shops, and low-cost ventures, to host
news servers on.  We're all aware of that.  However...

While it's true that NT will probably require more memory to get the
system up and running, and while it's also true that you will probably
have to buy software (although I'm sure Netscape and others would be
as happy to sell you a news server as Microsoft would), it's complete
and utter bull to assert that NT will "fall over" under a full news
feed.  It show's that you simply have no clue what you're talking
about.  In fact, I would bet that you have no experience whatsoever
doing anything demanding with NT.

Speaking as one who helped write a very powerful news server product
for NT, which is part of the most powerful messaging platform on the
planet (speaking of Microsoft Exchange, in case I lost you)....

  Michael L. VanLoon                           michaelv@MindBender.serv.net