Date:      Mon, 11 Mar 2002 16:04:48 -0500
From:      Brian Reichert <reichert@numachi.com>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?Arvinn_L=F8kkebakken?= <arvinn@rns.no>
Cc:        darklogik@pittgoth.com, rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG, security-officer@FreeBSD.ORG, "'Bruce A. Mah'" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>, FreeBSD-security@FreeBSD.ORG, doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sftp for windows clients

On Mon, Mar 11, 2002 at 09:49:43PM +0100, Arvinn Løkkebakken wrote:

> > Hello people who work with security, documentation, and
> > FreeBSD in general.
> >
> > Today I was poking around sftp.  Upon my browsing I noticed that a
> > really neat program known as SafeTP was developed at Berkeley.  This
> > utility seems to attach itself to ANY ftp client in windows/unix and
> > provide a secure connection...  My few moments of testing
> > pointed out to
> > me that it works in windows easily, so newbies can use it
> > with say WS_ftp.
> >

> Does it work with the sftp server that comes bundled with OpenSSH or do
> you have to install the SafeTP server-side daemon too? If not, how does
> it interfer with excisting sftpd bundled with OpenSSH when installed?

This is part of the problem; the terminologies clash.

SafeTP is a enhanced FTP server that encrypts the command channel only.
Also provided is a client that can speak SateTP as well as stock FTP.  You
need such a client to talk to a SafeTP server.

sftp(1) is an interactive file transfer program, similar to ftp(1),
which performs all operations over an encrypted ssh(1) transport.
(Right from the manpage).  Different beast.

And, this has nothing to do with 'Secure FTP', a java app that 'is
a client package that allows for a secure connection to be made to
an FTP daemon'.  That requires astock FTP server.

--
Brian 'you Bastard' Reichert		<reichert@numachi.com>
37 Crystal Ave. #303			Daytime number: (603) 434-6842