Date:      6 Dec 1997 11:11:30 GMT
From:      nnd@itfs.nsk.su
To:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Portslave?

Jacob Suter <jsuter@uranus.intrastar.net> wrote:
> Has anyone checked out portslave?  It compiled fine in a test Slackware
> box, but it doesn't seem to want to work in FreeBSD.  My C skills are
> nearly nonexistant when it comes to porting stuff from Linux to FreeBSD...

	I use portslave-1.15 on my FreeBSD-3.0-based
RAS . To make it works on FreeBSD I must throw out some parts
of it - f.e. working with modems in an UNIX-traditional way -
setting AA and waiting for CD, permitting of "local" logins
through '!name', writing local utmp/wtmp records.
  	I must also though away contained in portslave
sources 'syslog.c'.

	And I'm also dont't use 'ppp-2.2.0f-radius' from
portslave-1.15 but rather applay corresponding patches to
FreeBSD-3.0's pppd directly.

	Now I am working (thinking ?) on the new simplified
version of the program that will work with/after 'getty'.
FreeBSD's 'getty' can talk to modems and other kind of
serial links very successfully (and even understand and
autodetect PPP) so my new program must only understand
some type of configuration file setting RAS's ports
parameters and can talk to RADIUS server to obtain
user authentication and PPP-parameters. Other part of
the RAS functionality must be put in pppd (or ppp) -
obtaining autentication and PPP parameters for AutoPPP
case and accounting through RADIUS server.

	N.Dudorov