Date:      Wed, 11 Jun 1997 14:18:44 +1000 (EST)
From:      "Julian Jenkins (QSA)" <julianj@qsa.qualitysemi.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cable modems

Moved to chat.

On Tue, 10 Jun 1997, Terry Lambert wrote:

> I suspect Europe and Australia to have universal high speed
> access *long* before the US, simple because you guys don't
> have a badly managed antiquated infrastructure that they are
> still trying to amortize over the remaining portion of their
> 20 year accounting cycle.

Yes, but when Telsra did finally get around to offering cable modem
services in Sydeny and Melbourne, the service was so limited as to be
useless to all but the most boring of users.

It initially sounded good to have megaibits of bandwidth to the internet.
However all you can do with it is browse the web, read mail from thier
servers and telnet out. All other services have been disabled. This is
particularly usless to people like me, I connect my home machine to
the internet so that I can use it from work as often as otherwise.

And just to add insult to injury, it is only possible to authenitcate
yourself to their network using software that they will provide and only
runs under windoze 3.1 or 95.

So yes Australia wil likely get cable modem access earlier than the
states. Probably because we have only just got cable telivision and by
some fluke of nature somebody thought ahead enough to make it capable of
also carrying data. However it still is only usefull to the sheep.

Kaveman