Date:      Fri, 24 Jan 1997 08:41:14 -0700 (MST)
From:      Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        Kory Hamzeh <kory@avatar.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   EIDE vs. SCSI

Kory Hamzeh writes:
 > My question is this: most mother boards have a built in EIDE controller
 > and IDE drivers are much cheaper then SCSI. What is the approx
 > performance hit buy using EIDE instead of Wide SCSI for a FreeBSD system?

If you're talking about a system with a single disk, not that much.
IDE will place a higher load on the system while acessing the disk,
which will compete with compute-bound processed, but it doesn't sound
like you're really planning on doing much that is compute-bound.

 > I need to put this system together as cheap and possible but I need it as
 > fast as possible. I am shooting for a 166mhz pentium with 64meg of ram

No, you don't.  If this machine is really going to just be a server for
mail, dns, ftp, and www, you only need something fast enough to keep up
with your ethernet.  If you're using 10 Mbps ethernet, save your money
on the CPU and buy more RAM instead.  An AMD K5/75 will do everything
you need just fine, and you should be able to find the CPU for under
$50.

 > and a eide/scsi 2 gig drive.

You can, of course, get PCI motherboards with onboard SCSI as well.  PCI
SCSI controllers using the NCR chips with on-board BIOS are generally
available for around $125.  In your case, I don't think IDE is really
going to hurt your performance unless you expect this server to get
really pounded.

 > One last thing, is there support for IDE CD-ROM in 2.1.5-RELEASE?

Yup.  Some esoteric IDE CD-ROMs don't work, but most of the mainstream
drives seem to work find.  The Mitsumi 8X, generally available for
cheap, works well.