Date:      Thu, 1 Oct 1998 08:08:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
To:        jeff-ml@mountin.net (Jeffrey J. Mountin)
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IPFW, Dual network cards

Jeffrey J. Mountin writes:
> >> 1) Will FreeBSD (3.0-19980804-SNAP) allow us to physically separate
> >> the network by placing 2 network cards in the machine and connecting
> >> one to each of our switches? Do I need anything such as routed to be
> >> running?
> >
> >Are you talking about bridging or routing? If the former, yes but
> >with some work (ie, kernel patches). If the latter, just edit rc.conf
> >to enable IP forwarding and set up your routes. You don't need routed.
>
> Could you clarify what you mean by "IP forwarding" in rc.conf,
  which is a bit unclear.  Don't gateway_enable=YES and natd (et all)
  handle this?

Enabling forwarding in rc.conf == setting "gateway_enable=YES" in rc.conf.
"IP forwarding" == "IP routing".

> >> 2) If so, can this network setup route other protocols - i.e Windows
> >> NetBEUI traffic or IPX setup? (I'm really looking for a 'no' answer
> >> here - if yes can it be stopped?)
> >
> >FreeBSD doesn't do that stuff.. it has some vestigial code in the
> >kernel but nobody uses it and it's disabled by default.
>
> But doesn't stop NetBEUI over TCP/IP, does it?  This aspect,
  among others, is rather annoying in dealing with Windoze, as I
  pointed out privately.

No, routers don't typically look into the packets that they route.
Use ipfw to block ports 137,138,139 if you want to stop NetBEUI stuff.

-Archie