Date:      Wed, 8 Nov 2000 14:41:21 -0500
From:      "Patrick Bihan-Faou" <patrick@mindstep.com>
To:        <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: TCPDUMP patch v1.1 and AppleTalk

> <PureConjecture>
>
> If you are running the daemon that supports Appletalk (is it netatalk?),
> perhaps the Appletalk daemon becomes confused when tcpdump puts the
> Ethernet interface into promiscuous mode.  It may be that the daemon
> expects to see only the Appletalk traffic directed to it, and seeing *all*
> Appletalk traffic on the wire makes it go nuts.
>
> </PureConjecture>

This is very unlikely. I use a couple of machines with the netatalk+asun
package installed and I never ever had the problems described above. None of
the machines I use have the recent tcpdump patches so I can not check the
bug. However I am positive that puting the interface in promiscuous mode
does not confuse netatalk.

Patrick.