Date:      Thu, 9 Dec 2010 13:56:17 -0800
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        Paul Macdonald <paul@ifdnrg.com>
Cc:        Gary Gatten <Ggatten@waddell.com>, "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: more dns weirdness

On Thu, Dec 09, 2010 at 09:24:56PM +0000, Paul Macdonald wrote:
> On 09/12/2010 21:10, Gary Gatten wrote:
> >Probably Wikileaks supporters fighting back against the DDoS.  Interesting issue, anyone else seeing similar problems?
> >
> i came across the amazon whois hack as a result of debugging failed
> whois lookups (on freebsd obv)
> given the freebsd method of choosing whois via cnames via from this
> one domain, it's poss a good idea to at least have some seperate
> name servers for whois-servers.net.  Not great that the whois
> service is down as a result of 'redundant' dns services in the same
> place.
>
>    Name Server: UDNS1.ULTRADNS.NET
>    Name Server: UDNS2.ULTRADNS.NET
>
> both down at time of writing,
>
> Paul.

	This may/may not mean anything. Some days ago I got a brief mail
	from  reminding me to "re-up".  I quit them months ago when they
	wanted to slam me for some absurb amount-- $153.00--to be my
	secondary.

	I deleted their email; then in October my ~/Maildir got wiped.
	(I-done -it[?])  FWIW, I had an Amazona glitch around 16:00
	localtime yesterday.  Amazon couldn't verify my Visa card.  I
	retried hours later and the DDoS seems to have resolved itself.

	gary

	PS:  Time to bring back USENET:-)