Date:      Fri, 07 Jun 1996 10:25:37 -0700
From:      Paul Traina <pst@shockwave.com>
To:        Barnacle Wes <softweyr@xmission.com>
Cc:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD's /var/mail permissions

Correction: Most MUAs do not need write access to this directory,
so they are not SUID root.  They just work on the files.

  From: Barnacle Wes <softweyr@xmission.com>
  > Proposed solution:
  >     I'm considering creating group "mail" and going the setgid route,
  >     so that a program which creates files in /var/mail can be simply
  >     setgid mail.
  >
  >     This is a well understood mail directory protection mechanism
  >     and employs the "principle of least privilege."

  From a security standpoint, this is a win.  If it were only *one*
  less suid program, it probably wouldn't be worth bothering with, but
  with the number of MUAs on the average system these days (elm, pine,
  emacs, mh, xmh, netscape, various X mailers, etc) this is worth doing.
  Each of these can be changed from suid to sgid as someone is doing a
  port update.

  --
     Wes Peters	| Yes I am a pirate, two hundred years too late
      Softweyr 	| The cannons don't thunder, there's nothing to plunder