Date:      Wed, 23 Feb 2000 14:37:25 -0500
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.ca>
To:        karsten@rohrbach.de, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Panic #3 (ffs) (MegaRAID)

At 08:30 PM 2/23/00 +0100, Karsten W. Rohrbach wrote:
>which megaraid adapter do you use in this box (hw, fw ver, bios ver,
>cntl-m ver)...
>
>i've seen those panics on our old news box when there where errors on
>the scsi busses which did not get detected properly. mainly termination
>issues *sigh*

I dont think its necessarily a termination issue.  I have swapped the exact
same chain onto a Mylex DAC960 and can pound the box without issue.  I have
a nasty feeling my 466 might not like my MB chipset.  I am using a 466
PERC2/SC on BX chipset ECS MB and its throwing all sorts of fits.  When I
used a 428 on another box (a plain old Pentium), I didnt have nearly this
many problems. Soon as my co-worker is finished with the older Pentium, I
can test this theory to see if this is the case.  Looking at the release
notes for the BIOS revs at AMI, it seems older BIOS revs might have
problems with newer MBs

From ftp://ftp.megatrends.com/MegaRAID/drivers/466/readme-gh6d.txt
>Changes in this release:
>1. CTRL-M is not invoked until after the system BIOS is completed
>   on newer systems that support PMM (POST Memory Management).
>   The system would hang at different places in CTRL-M on these
>   systems prior to these changes.

Until I flashed it to this new rev, I was seeing this behaviour.

	---Mike