Date:      Mon, 9 Oct 2017 12:02:24 +0200
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartmann@walstatt.org>
To:        Allan Jude <allanjude@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-performance@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Xeon Gold 6138's Running FBSD 11.1 and TrueOS Stable [GCC 5.4]

--Sig_/rePbvxrMaFY+S1D=Uv52lqZ

Am Sun, 8 Oct 2017 22:42:01 -0400
Allan Jude <allanjude@freebsd.org> schrieb:

> On 2017-10-08 21:03, grarpamp wrote:
> > http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=3D25148
> >=20
> > While we have tested a number of Linux distributions on Intel's new
> > Xeon Scalable platform, here are some initial BSD tests using two Xeon
> > Gold 6138 processors with the Tyan GT24E-B7106 1U barebones server.
> > FreeBSD 11.1 and the FreeBSD-derivative desktop/workstation-focused
> > TrueOS (formerly known as PC-BSD) were the primary candidates for
> > testing. TrueOS stable is currently tracking FreeBSD 12.0-CURRENT
> > development.
> > When comparing the out-of-the-box performance of FreeBSD/TrueOS and
> > even with running under the GCC compiler rather than LLVM Clang, the
> > Linux distributions were offering noticeably better performance on
> > this dual Intel Xeon Gold server.
sd.org"
> >  =20
>=20
> You might want to try enabling turbo boost.
>=20
> sysctl dev.cpu.0.freq=3D9999
>=20
> This will change the cpu frequency from the default (2000 mhz) to 2001
> mhz, which will enable turbo boost (this specific CPU bursts to 3700
> mhz), so this will likely make a very large difference in your benchmarks.
>=20
> To get more consistent results, you may actually want to disable
> turboboost in the bios, and rerun the benchmarks on ALL of the operating
> systems.
>=20

Wow, the difference between the FreeBSDs and Linux performance is amazing a=
nd for those
looking at the first time on such benchmarks not knowing much about the tur=
bo boost issue
one would definitely choose the faster one :-(

I'd appreciate results of a benchmark considering no boost and with a light=
 sched on the
scheduler (doesn't Linux have a very sophisticated scheduler dealing/scalin=
g very
efficient with lots of threads/cpu cores? This could also be a very interes=
ting benchmark
pointing to AMDs new Epyc platform comprised also from lots of cpu cores).

Kind regards,

oh

--=20
O. Hartmann

Ich widerspreche der Nutzung oder =C3=9Cbermittlung meiner Daten f=C3=BCr
Werbezwecke oder f=C3=BCr die Markt- oder Meinungsforschung (=C2=A7 28 Abs.=
 4 BDSG).