Date:      Mon, 17 Apr 2000 21:46:36 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
To:        Paul Richards <paul@originative.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Un*x scripting magic

On Tue, 18 Apr 2000, Paul Richards wrote:

# > Then I have a multi-line (printable characters only) ASCII
# > text file containing the message that I'd like to replace
# > for %%MESSAGE%%. [1]  Anyone have a neat little trick in
# > their bag-o-magic?  I know the answer should be really
# > obvious but everything I've tried thus either hasn't worked
# > or was too convoluted.
#
# What's wrong with the obvious?

It doesn't embed the text in the script.  So everytime I
execute the script I have to re-read the file.

# open(MESSAGE, $MESSAGE) || die;
# while (<MESSAGE>) {
# }
#
# You can probably optimise that a bit, read the whole file in one go for
# starters.

As someone else pointed out something like this would work
if I didn't want to embed the content within the code in its
final form yet keep them separate while they are in CVS. :)

$msg = `cat foo`;

-steve