Date:      Sat, 31 Aug 2002 12:36:16 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        tonerboy <geoffrey@reptiles.org>
Cc:        "Jack L. Stone" <jackstone@sage-one.net>, derek@durham.net, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Updating world with least downtime

tonerboy wrote:

<snip>
>>When I replied to the orignal poster, whose main concern was about
>>minimizing downtime, my main focus was on explaining my own method used
>>which causes a downtime of only one reboot -- a few seconds on a production
>>box with 1GHz CPU and 7200rpm HDs.
>>

> 	Speaking of which, hope that is his email I've stuck beside yours.
> Nevertheless, this was posted to stable before I (foolishly evidently),
> tried to move this to private email (especially without looking back at
> who originally posted the question).
> 	My apologies in any case.  And yes, you are quite correct.
> Whatever they are feeding the gerbils who churn the wheels makes for a
> might bit snappier boot.
>

>>I didn't realize this would become a "race" upsmanship discussion. In
>>looking back at the records (rather than off the top of head), my actual
>>downtime a few months ago when dropping to single-user mode for
>>installworld-mergemaster was about 20 mins and this was running mergemaster
>>-v and going through each change on a full-service server machine.
>>

> 	I've been using -svi and <<shudder>> dread the security level you
> must use to do that.  Especially in light of the s'kiddie traffic I see
> trying to get into my network (which invariably traces back to new,
> unsecured installs).  These are not exclusively IIS boxes (which are
> expected) but apache (granted usually linux but FreeBSD as well) & cobalt.
> 	I don't know how they are managing to send ssh from the same, but
> it certainly affects my sleeping.

I give up on most of them. I have a script that goes back through
security and httpd-error.log and report the blatant ones. The firewall
denies all incoming. I have a tendancy to pick on the 1433 people in
general and in a group. I know none of them are accidents.

>>Back to the original poster who hasn't replied further, there is a choice
>>of being down a few seconds or a few minutes depending on the machine's
>>speeds and approach.
>>

> 	And rather than having the highest zoot box, one CAN have
> redundancy for the same cost (2 p3 boxes ~= p4 cost, nay?).  A little
> preparation and downtime approaches nil.
> 	That yardstick isn't too far off in any succeeding generation
> sets.

That is my approach. I don't like the P-4. It isn't optimized for my
world and have been using AMD's on my upgrades. A whole 3-step down in
the speed XP based system costs less than one fast P-4 cpu. A 1600+ XP
with your buildworld spread across 3 high speed HDs will do a
buildworld in ~20 minutes and installworld to mergemaster in an uptime
of less than 4. A lot of people maintain buildworld is cpu bound but I
see an I/O bound process for most cpu speeds above 900 Mhz. Moving
from ATA-100 to ATA-133 isn't going to buy that much because you only
get that rate for a few milliseconds.

>>Now about the fastest beer guzzler....??
>>

> 	Sorry.  Even if I pour it in slowly over fifteen minutes, the box
> falls to pieces.  Now should you be in this neck of the woods around UU
> time, some of my peers may offer to gladly accept your offer.  In the mean
> time, I'll happily loft my tea tolling thumb in your honour (just don't
> tell it that's draft in the other hand please).

I had to chuckle here because I was getting ready to work in the yard
and had a Red Hook ESB in the left hand. We had a French TV team show
up locally to record a number of us talking about a local archaeology
find (The scientists won YIPEE!!). The French team thought it was the
first US beer they had encountered that counted in the European sense.

Cheers,

Kent

--
Kent Stewart