Date:      Wed, 15 May 1996 12:35:44 GMT
From:      James Raynard <fdocs@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        Francisco.Reyes@i-2000.com
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Suggestion for Docs

> As an example James Raynard <fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
> gave me a brief, but complete explanation about ppp.linkup and I
> found it much better than the info in the ppp.linkup.sample.
>
> With his permission, I am going to try to modify his message a bit
> and suggest it as the text for the ppp.linkup.sample.

I've already mailed Francisco to agree to this, although it might be
better to put it in the docs rather than the file. I've also hinted he
might like to volunteer to put some flesh on the PPP-with-dynamic-IP
section 8-)

> Changing the topic....
> I would like to suggest that in the list of reference books to have a
> small
> section for Unix begginers. I don't recall if the books section covers
> this.

Good idea.

> I would like to recommend Harley Hahn's "The Unix Companion". It is a
> great book for begginers and also a nice reference. This is what I am
> using to get up to speed with Unix.

Yes, I always used to recommend "The Student's Guide to Unix" (another
one of his books) and "Unix in a Nutshell".

Looking a bit further down, in the programmer's guides, I was
extremely surprised to see nothing by my favourite author, Rich
Stevens. As he's written a commentary on the 4.4BSD TCP/IP
implementation and (so I understand) runs FreeBSD, surely he deserves
some encouragement! (He also writes excellent books, BTW)

Advanced Programming in the Unix Environment
W. Richard Stevens
Addison-Wesley 1992
ISBN 0-201-56317-7

Essential reading for anyone serious about being a Unix programmer.

TCP/IP Illustrated Volume 1
W. Richard Stevens
Addison-Wesley 1994
ISBN 0-201-63346-9

A good overview of TCP/IP for users, sysadmins and programmers.

TCP/IP Illustrated Volume 2
Gary R. Wright, W. Richard Stevens
Addison-Wesley 1995
ISBN 0-201-63354-X

The complete 4.4BSD TCP/IP implementation, with detailed annotations.

Unix Network Programming
W. Richard Stevens
Prentice-Hall 1990
ISBN 0-13-949876-1

A bit dated (currently being re-written), but contains a good
introduction to socket programming, among other things.

(I have no relationship to Rich Stevens other than being an extremely
satisified purchaser of his books, BTW)

And surely the first entry on any list of Unix programming books
should be

The Unix Programming Environment
Brian W. Kernighan, Rob Pike
Prentice-Hall 1984
ISBN 0-13-937681-X

Showing its age in places, but still an unbeatable introduction to the
Unix way of doing things.