Date:      Sat, 24 Oct 1998 11:11:12 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Conrad Sabatier <conrads@neosoft.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: file systems

On 21-Oct-98 Conrad Sabatier wrote:

> On 21-Oct-98 Loren Thiel wrote:
>> Hi, I was wondering where I could find documentation on how the FreeBSD
>> file system works.
>> Also maybe the Linux file system,  NTFS, HPFS, CDFS, FAT, FAT32, even a MAC
>> file system.
>
> You might want to try:
>
> zcat /usr/share/doc/smm/05.fastfs/paper.ascii.gz | more

Just thought I'd followup to this with a little script I wrote the other day
shortly after sending the above message.

Very simple.  Just "zcat"s and pipes through "more" any files found on the
command line.  Much more convenient than typing the above command every time
you want to view one of these .ascii.gz files:

----- CUT HERE -----
#!/bin/sh

zcat $* | more
----- CUT HERE -----

Save this to a file (I call mine "zv", short for "zview"), set executable
permissions on it (chmod +x zv), and put it somewhere in your PATH (I keep mine
under $HOME/bin).

Then you can do, for example, "cd /usr/share/doc/smm/05.fastfs" and
"zv paper.ascii.gz", or even "zv *.gz".

Hope you'll find this useful.

--
Conrad Sabatier

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do."
                -- Joe Walsh