Date:      Tue, 6 Jun 2000 12:26:30 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
To:        wonko@entropy.tmok.com
Cc:        bsdx@looksharp.net, freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FW: Sun mice (fwd)

On Tue, 6 Jun 2000, Brian Hechinger wrote:

> but from what i see here, there are two serial buses...

Right. The hardware, at any rate, looks to the OS as if it's a pair of
Z8530 serial controllers, each with two ports. One Z8530 is a pair of
serial ports, the other is the keyboard and mouse. (This was how you
could kludge a 3/60 to have four serial ports--by removing the mouse
and keyboard and doing some clever wiring.)

> the serial ports
> share one, and the kybd/mouse share the other, so in actuality, the only
> difference is the connector that is hung off of it.

Right.

> interesting.  so
> theroretically serial mice should work regardless of the OS.  the wheel
> on the other hand....

Even the wheel should work fine. So long as your driver supports it.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   917 532 4208   http://www.netbsd.org
  Human speech is like a cracked tin kettle, on which we hammer out tunes