Date:      Mon, 15 May 2000 17:44:17 -0400
From:      Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
To:        Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: apache SSL question

On Mon, May 15, 2000 at 04:12:14PM -0500, Steve Price wrote:
> I'm trying to rewrite URLs for a secure area of my website.
> In essence if a user tries to access the following URL
>
> 	http://www.mymachine.dom/secure/index.html
>
> then it will be rewritten as this.
>
> 	https://www.mymachine.dom/secure/index.html
>
> Here's what I have in apache.conf.
>
> <IfDefine SSL>
> <Directory /usr/local/share/apache/htdocs/secure>
> RewriteEngine	On
> RewriteCond	%{HTTPS} !=on
> RewriteRule	^(.*)	https://%{HTTP_HOST}/secure/$1	[R]
> </Directory>
> </IfDefine>
>
> This appears to work.  However I'd like to get a second opinion
> on whether this is a good idea.  Is there a better way?

This should work, but you need to make sure that you don't allow this
sort of thing for ALL of the data under
/usr/local/share/apache/htdocs/secure, but only the data that can be
transferred unencrypted (which is what will happen since you send a
http:// request first, then it redirects you to https://). Hopefully
that can be restricted to ``index.html'' and other files.

Later,
--
Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>