Date:      11 Sep 1997 20:47:27 -0000
From:      ali@xcf.berkeley.edu
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   bad blocks

Hi.
Some AMI diag program tells me i have bad blocks on my disk.
If I do "tar cvf /dev/null /usr" I will get a message from the
kernel saying "sd0(ahc0:0:0): MEDIUM ERROR info:534195 csi:c,8f,3,76 asc:11,0 Unrecovered read error sks:80,80."

Several times. Is the way to fix this to place the bad block(s) in a bad block
list somewhere? How do I do that?

I'm using a freebsd partition. 2.2.2-RELEASE is the version of the system
I'm running, with this kernel being straight out of the box (other kernels
fail as well). Disk is a 4 gig drive, partitioned into 2Gig dos and 2Gig
freebsd.

Thanks,
 Ali.