Date:      Sat, 07 Dec 2002 13:29:48 +0100
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
To:        Rob <rob@pythonemproject.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Mickey Mouse Power Plug

Rob <rob@pythonemproject.com> writes:
> I'm not too thrilled about my Dell 8200 power cord.  Looks like its just
> aching to get whacked off.  Either that or the cat will chew it off :)
> Its probably some EU directive that comes into play.  We wouldn't want
> to electrocute any Europeans with 20V.  :)

Umm, no.  If the iPod uses an external PSU, then there's a very good
reason for using a non-standard power plug: to prevent unaware users
from plugging in a mains cord, which would not only fry the iPod but
might also electrocute the user.  If you think that's silly, just ask
anyone who's ever plugged an ISDN cable (RJ45, 48V) into an Ethernet
port (RJ45, ~3V).

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@ofug.org