Date:      Thu, 4 Jul 2019 15:36:00 -0300
From:      =?utf-8?Q?Lucas_Nali_de_Magalh=C3=A3es?= <rollingbits@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   disable wlan/wifi

Hi.

I started a bug report to request a way to disable wlan/wifi but I think I'm=
 better writing here first: my inability to disable wlan/wifi is becoming a s=
ecurity issue for me here (I'm still learning how to use the Bugzilla web in=
terface).

Long story short: wifi never goes away. Please help.

I disable the services I don't use since ages. Never stopped to think about w=
ifi use until I needed it recently, though. So I thought that if I don't con=
figure it stays out of use (waiting for a configuration). But I found that i=
t's always used if it was found, and the drive loads a default configuration=
 if not said otherwise. Both the default configuration (that is wrong for my=
 side of the planet) and the default on option is an issue for me. The defau=
lt on is an issue because it created an interface that went unobserved until=
 it was needed.

When the wifi drive is loaded it loads the wlan stack and configures the har=
dware. And because I'm not on USA the default configuration is not right for=
 me. More than that, the drive is both a little unstable and a little limite=
d. My keyboard has a key combination to disable wifi but the drive (urtw on =
FreeBSD 12) don't have an option to be disabled. That said, I expect to not c=
reate a storm when I do my request. I think this is a security issue because=
 this enables exploits of the wireless/network stacks without administrator i=
ntervention.

All this been said, I still need to say that I'm about to move and this comp=
uter will probably stay off for a long time after that.

Lc

--=20
rollingbits =E2=80=94 =F0=9F=93=A7 rollingbits@gmail.com =F0=9F=93=A7 rollin=
gbits@terra.com.br =F0=9F=93=A7 rollingbits@yahoo.com =F0=9F=93=A7 rollingbi=