Date:      Fri, 14 Jul 2000 01:20:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Oliver Helmling <oliver.helmling@nikocity.de>
Subject:   RE: various questions about make targets

On 14-Jul-00 Oliver Helmling wrote:
> hi john!
>
> no, i wanted to know what's the difference between "make deinstall" and
> "pkg_delete [-f]" and when should i use "make reinstall" instead of
> "make install" concering the ports.

Well, make deinstall assumes that the version it is deleting is the
version of the port in the Makefile, which isn't true if you are
upgrading an old port.  Other than that they both do the same thing.
You use "make reinstall" with a port if you need to install it more
than once.  For example, if you mount /usr/ports over NFS to several
machines, then you might 'make all install' on the first machine to
compile and install the port.  On the other machines, you would use
'make reinstall' to install the port after it has been built.  The
difference is that make install won't do anything if
work/.install_done exists, but make reinstall will always try to
install the port.

> after a "make buildworld" and a "make installworld" on a
> buildworld-server i could nfs-mount /usr/src and /usr/obj and do what on
> the client -- a "make installworld" or a "make reinstall". according to
> "Makefile.inc1" i should do a "make reinstall" on the client. ???

I've always done a make installworld myself, but make reinstall will
probably work as well.  I think they both end up basically doing the
same thing now.  make reinstall is probably a hold over from much
earlier when the world target was not split up into buildworld and
installworld.

> is there a possibility that i can only install the rootfilesystem (and
> perhaps some files in /var) on the clients if "/usr" is completely
> nfs-mounted or shouldn't i do that.

Well, I don't know of a way to not install /usr off-hand.  However,
a lot of commonly used files are in /usr, so NFS mounting /usr over
a network is going to generate a _lot_ of traffic.  However, I have
ran networks of 80+ machines where I exported /usr/local and
/usr/X11R6 over NFS and it worked fine.

> and of course, suppose i let build all the code concering sendmail on
> the buildworld-server, but on the clients i don't need any sendmail
> stuff, since i've got a smtp-server. will NO_SENDMAIL=YES in
> "/etc/make.conf" on the client work the way i expect? (of course, with
> an nfs-mounted /usr-filesystem this example has no use, just as an
> example!)

Hrmm, I'm fairly certain that it will work the way you want it to.
That is, I believe that it won't install sendmail on the clients.

> i hope my questions are clearer now.

Much. :)  Hope this helps.