Date:      Fri, 5 Sep 1997 14:37:44 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
Cc:        nate@mt.sri.com (Nate Williams), freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: High-resolution displays

> (Nate states those with built in CDROMS are heavier and flimsier)
>
> I'll look over (and pick up and shake and thump on) a Thinkpad with
> built in CDROM before I decide it is too flimsy.  I thought the 365xd
> was my 365x with the internal floppy traded off for internal CDROM.
> The 365x isn't flimsy.

None of the ThinkPads are flimsy, but I'll bet you a ThinkPad *with* a
CDROM is much less rugged than one without.  You gotta compare apples to
apples.

> > *All* of the laptops I've ever used (NEC, IBM, Toshiba, Fujitsu, HP)
> > have external power supplies.
>
> The Toshibas at one of my clients have built in power supplies and
> take a line cord on the back.  I don't know the model, but they
> have both older 486 systems and some newer Pentium systems.

That's different than my experience.

> I'm more willing to trade off weight for having everything well
> packaged in one place than the market.

To each his own.  I spend enough time on the road *NOT* using the
externals that having a light-weight laptop is a much bigger deal than
having one with everything built-in.  It's the 'unix' geek in me I
guess.  "Small is beautiful". ;) ;) ;)

Nate