Date:      Thu, 1 May 1997 04:10:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Bryan K. Ogawa" <bkogawa@primenet.com>
To:        tyrelb@surf.pangea.ca
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: offtopic: graphic programs

In localhost.freebsd.isp you write:

>This is a little off topic, so I'll make it short. Does anyone know of a
>good graphics program for FreeBSD?

Depends on what you're doing.  If you're looking for image
manipulation a la Photoshop, The GIMP is quite impressive.

ftp://ftp.xcf.berkeley.edu/pub/gimp

If you are willing to sacrifice a hundred or two megs of disk space,
and some time, I suggest going into the developer's directory and
grabbing the 0.99 betas.  The new versions have some very impressive
new features (most notably layers) which the 0.5x series lacks, and it
compiles correctly on FreeBSD (shared library compilation doesn't work
right for me, though).

Unfortunately, all of those statically linked binaries are huge.  If
you're just looking to compile, and you don't have space, compile,
then when you get disk space errors, go into the plugins directory and
strip all of the executables you find.  Repeat until compilation
finishes.  You'll still need 50+ megs to compile, but...
--
bryan k ogawa  <bkogawa@primenet.com>   http://www.primenet.com/~bkogawa/