Date:      Mon, 15 May 1995 10:15:47 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Guy Helmer <ghelmer@alpha.dsu.edu>
To:        Frank Durda IV <uhclem%nemesis@fw.ast.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Docs for both ends of SLIP/PPP connection?

On Thu, 11 May 1995, Frank Durda IV wrote:

> I have been asked the same question for the third time in as many weeks
> so I thought I would ask it (once) here.
>
> Is there any step-by-step documents that describe how to set
> up a SLIP and/or PPP connection on a FreeBSD system FOR BOTH ENDS?
> That is, documentation that tells how to set up ports on a FreeBSD system
> to act as SLIP/PPP ports to connect to (dial-in), AND documentation for how
> to make an outgoing SLIP/PPP call using FreeBSD to a remote server,
> possibly even a remote FreeBSD server?

There are some docs -- are you able to view the information at
"http://www.freebsd.org/HowTo/"?  If so, you may want to check there since
there has been some reorganization and new contributions in the past
month or so.

> These questions are coming from people where I work who have FreeBSD
> systems at home and some at work, and they can't figure out how to
> make SLIP or PPP work, particularly on the system that they dial-in to.
>
> There seems to be several examples and FAQs around (although some
> seem out of date and contradictory) describing how to dial-out to
> an ISP SLIP/PPP system.

Yes, I believe the SLIP client FAQ could use some revision.

> I haven't seen anything useful that covers how to set up the ISP side,
> precautions to take, etc.  The only FAQ I have seen had massive gaps
> in information, such as assuming you already had /etc/ttys, gettys, the
> kernel and other stuff set up "the right way" for SLIP/PPP to be used.
> You wouldn't believe some of the "maybe it will work if I turn this
> and this on" stuff I have seen by people trying to bridge the gaps.

Well, at least some of the "massive gaps" are intentional -- the SLIP
server tutorial isn't meant to cover the procedures for configuring dialup
access to a system (and in fact a tutorial I've written has been critized
because it contained too much info specific to kernel configuration, which
should be covered by a separate tutorial).  Please see the dialup tutorial
(under "http://www.freebsd.org/HowTo/") for information on dialup
services, and then go on to the SLIP server tutorial once dialup access
works.

I'm not sure what you mean by "precautions" -- can you elaborate?

> Because of the problems, most are using Windows '95 on both ends so that
> they can do SLIP/PPP, but they would rather use FreeBSD.
>
> Do these documents exist in an up-to-date, accurate form?  Please
> let me know.  If they don't, is there someone willing to write one up?
> I would strongly recommend including this material in 2.0.5.   Thanks.

You're certainly welcome to contribute!  I've contributed a bit myself as
time permits, but I'm just a volunteer just like everyone else on the Doc
team.

Guy Helmer, Dakota State University Computing Services - ghelmer@alpha.dsu.edu