Date:      Thu, 27 Jan 2000 16:20:54 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        obrien@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems installing FreeBSD 4.0 20000125-CURRENT

> > IMHO, that is the wrong assumption.  Most DHCP servers I've seen aren't
> > setup to provide hostnames to the requrestor.
>
> Seems they're set up incorrectly then.  You can't be a good "network
> citizen" these days without a resolvable hostname that also matches
> your primary IP address or, among other things, you won't be able to
> send mail directly to anyone who practices traditional spam filtering
> techniques.

Actually, the problem here is that our dhclient doesn't pick the hostname
up the first time around.  If it's set in an existing lease that is just
confirmed, it works, but if you're starting without a lease, you won't
get a hostname set (but it will be in the lease file, so if you restart
before the lease expires you're OK).

> This also isn't just pedantry because, as I noted before, specifying
> the hostname will currently cause it to override the DHCP hostname
> value even if it is specified (as it certainly is on *my* DHCP server :-)
> and result in broken behavior for the aformentioned mailers.  If we
> were to fix that in our rc scripts, I could remove this assumption in
> sysinstall in good conscience.

Personally I'd prefer to just fix the DHCP client so that it correctly
sets the hostname as obtained from the server...