Date:      Fri, 12 Jun 1998 19:41:56 -0400
From:      Toby Swanson <toby@milkyway.org>
To:        Tim Parkinson <tim.parkinson@ccr.ntu.ac.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What do people on the list use FreeBSD for?

Tim Parkinson wrote:

> I'm curious as to what people are using their FreeBSD machines for.  .  .  .

I use FreeBSD on 2 machines at home.  One is a dedicated print server with 3
different printers.  The other is a file server, gateway to the internet via
iij-ppp
dial on demand and an ISDN terminal adapter, primary DNS server, NIS master
server, and POP3 post office. Both hosts run SAMBA for client file and printer
access.  All the family members run Windows 95 on their PCs.  This arrangement
gives everyone instant, if  the connection is up, concurrent access to the
internet
and faster access than Micro$oft's dial-up networking.  I also only need one
internet account.  By having a post office on my end of the connection I can
have as
many (or as few) mailboxes as I want, which ishandy for when family comes to
visit.  The ISDN line has enough bandwidth for 2 or 3 users simultaneously
(unless
they are all trying to download huge files.)

I chose FreeBSD over Linux because it's more stable, easier to setup and
maintain
(IMHO), and has all this tech support, hand holding and commiserating in one
convenient location.

Toby (toby@milkyway.org)