Date:      Mon, 23 Sep 1996 23:52:11 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@iafrica.com>
To:        jez@netcraft.co.uk (Jeremy Prior)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ncheck and a multi-lingual fsck

Jeremy Prior wrote:

> All,
>     I've always missed the lack of ncheck(8) in FreeBSD - The 4.4BSD
> manual page for it is wrong - its functionality is not obsoleted by
> fsck(8)!  Specifically, I miss ncheck's `-s' option (find / -perm ...
> is no substitute).
>
>     My nostalgia turned into desperation when find started falling over
> with an out-of-memory error in our news-spool partition during the
> nightly /etc/security run.  (Sorry, I don't have the error message to
> hand - I can let people have it after tonight's run if they're
> interested :-)
>
>     I was about to write an ncheck clone (using fsck as a starting
> point), and had even got to the point of soliciting sample output for
> other vendor's versions, when I discovered that one already exists!
> OpenBSD has had ncheck (actually ncheck_ffs) since mid August.
>
>     So, I fetched, built, and installed their ncheck (no changes needed
> other than the name :-), and it works fine!  I'm currently in the process
> of rewriting my /etc/security to use it.
>
>     Anyway, I'm now wondering whether I should with it.  My options are:
>
>  1. keep it to myself and shut up :-)
>
>  2. submit it as-is, and let someone else decide what to do with it;
>     (I could also submit chkdsk(8) - aka fsck_msdos at the same time...)
>
>  or
>
>  3. go the whole way and submit it as part of a general `cleanup', where
>     each of the fs-dependent programs (fsck, ncheck, ...) are called by
>     an fs-independent parent (I'd use mount(8) as the template).
>
> What do other people think?  Do people want this?  Am I treading on
> anyone else's toes? by doing this :-)  Opinions?

No opinion regarding most of this, but I'd be very wary of bringing
across chkdsk/fsck_msdos.

Although the FFS is far more complex, a fsck for the V*FAT fs
actually has a more difficult task in some ways.  (In an FFS context,
a great many possible scenarios just "can't happen".)

In the course of developing the vfatfs, I've had the opportunity
to test all the recent versions of chkdsk, scandisk, fsck_* I could
find.  They _all_ have serious problems.  Even MS scandisk for DOS
6.22 has major bugs, though it generally does a better job than
other stuff.

I've been working on a fsck_vfatfs myself, intermittently.  I don't
mind dropping this if something demonstrably better comes along,
but -- for now -- I wouldn't let it, or anything else I've seen on
UNIX near my DOS partitions.

No point in inviting trouble unnecessarily....

--
Robert Nordier