Date:      Tue, 18 May 1999 23:22:30 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Seth <seth@freebie.dp.ny.frb.org>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ADSL??

On Tue, 18 May 1999, Mike Tancsa wrote:

> At 10:58 PM 5/18/99 , Jonathan Frazier wrote:
> >I am getting an ADSL connection set up this next week and need some
> >help/opinions.  I have never done it on a FBSD system before.  I am
> >running 3.2-stable as of last night.  My options are the Cisco 675
> >external ADSL modem or the 605 Internal ADSL modem.  I'm not sure what's
> >out there for FBSD and ADSL and if my system can use the internal NIC.
> >Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>

> External for sure. That way, your FreeBSD box just uses the router as a
> router and you dont have to worry about device drivers etc.  Just get
> yourself an ethernet card, cross over cable and you are ready to go.

Be careful here.  Some ADSL connections don't use routers at all; they use
"modems" (really, xlational bridges).  These devices don't do any sort of
layer-3 function.  Why does this matter?

It matters because 1)  your ISP may require you to use DHCP to get your
workstation's address, and 2) you may not be able to attach >1 device w/o
NAT.

That said, definitely go for the external device.  If you can get your NIC
working, you're golden.  I've got my box working fine (using static IPs
for now); it's just a matter of configuring the Ethernet card and plugging
it in (via crossover) to my (Alcatel) ADSL "modem".

SB