Date:      Thu, 23 May 1996 16:03:32 GMT
From:      hal@snitt.com (Hal Snyder)
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is Token Ring supported?

> >   JM> We need to set up a DHCP server at work - but it needs to support
> >   JM> token ring.

> >   JM> If FreeBSD doesn't support TR, I guess we'll be forced to use BSDi or
> >   JM> even NT.

This is not strictly on topic - at least until FreeBSD supports TR -
but the subject of NT doing DHCP is a red flag here...

At SNITT, where we run a mix of FreeBSD, SVR4, and NT, we tried twice
to use the DHCP services that come with NT Server 3.51 and gave up in
disgust, both times going back to statically assigned IP addresses.

Reasons were:  1) NT services get royally confused when servers have
more than one LAN interface (not just DHCP, but WINS and browser too);
2) the DHCP admin app is very good at losing its tables or getting
them into an unusable state, and without being able to save/edit
config in a text file, that means entering the entire damn setup over
and over;  3) DHCP clients cannot be told which suffixes to append to
unqualified host names, so there is still a part of system setup that
has to be done locally at each client;  4) total lack of any sane,
useful diagnostic tools.
--
Hal Snyder    847-698-0300 x 523 (voice)   847-698-3212 (fax)

Siemens Nixdorf Transportation Technologies      http://www.snitt.com
6400 Shafer Ct, Suite 200, Rosemont, IL 60018