Date:      Tue, 07 Sep 1999 23:49:26 +0200
From:      Yves Perrey <yperrey@club-internet.fr>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3Com 3C589D

Hi,

Steve Darrall wrote:

> Hiya,
>
> I'm trying to get an IBM Thinkpad 380 up and running with 3.2-RELEASE.
>
> If I use pccardd I simply get "Driver allocation failed" when the 3Com adapter
> is inserted. The card is detected by zp0 and works with no problems, but I need
> the laptop to have a modem installed along with the network card.
>
> I've checked the kernel config for ep0 and /etc/pccard.conf but can't see
> anything wrong.
>
> If anyone can help with this, I'd be more than grateful.

I run a 3C589D-Combo with FreeBSD 3.2 RELEASE and PAO3 on a Toshiba
230CDX.
Card detection runs fine and is assigned to ep0 interface.
The only little problem is I need to force BNC connexion detection with
link1 parameter in /etc/pccard.conf:

card "3Com Corporation" "3C589"
  config default "ep0" 10
  insert logger -s 3Com Etherlink III inserted
  insert /etc/pccard_ether $device link1.
  remove logger -s 3Com Etherlink III removed
  remove /etc/pccard_ether_remove $device

dmesg still displays UTP connexion (ep0: utp/bnc[*UTP*] address
00:06:08:f1:fe:1f) but link is ok on BNC port.
I have no 10BaseT cable to test if it works differently with UTP lan
cable.

Previously to the installation of PAO, with zp0 support, BNC was
automatically detected (or by default?).

I may do something wrong since I am new to FreeBSD!

Yves.