Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 1996 03:30:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-bugs
Subject:   Re: Re: Re: conf/963: Using the whole disk can end unbootable

The following reply was made to PR conf/963; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To: muir@idiom.com (David Muir Sharnoff)
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 1996 09:54:02 +0100 (MET)

 As David Muir Sharnoff wrote:

 > What you are warning against is that it doesn't work with other
 > operating systems.   It also needs to warn that it cannot be used
 > with the bootmgr.

 It also warns that it eats up the disk ``from the very first sector''.

 > * As i wrote: please submit a better text.
 >
 > Either it wasn't bypassed or a different boot manager wasn't written.

 A different ``boot manager'' was written.  The disklabel itself.

 > As far as I know the problems I had were because the boot selector
 > didn't work.  I didn't do anything special to install it, but there
 > was an old one already there.

 It should be wiped out without a whisper.

 > If a special boot loader must be used with a disk that isn't using
 > slices, then that boot loader needs to be installed!

 No special boot loader.  Please think about it.  The disk is being
 used by FreeBSD *from the very first sector*.  That is exactly the
 sector of the disk where your beloved boot manager was sitting.  It's
 apparent that there is no room for any fancy boot selector anymore,
 and that's why we decided to make it not the default, and why there's
 yet another warning that you might shoot into your foot if you don't
 really know what you are doing.  Sigh, you apparently didn't know
 what you are doing, but selected it anyways.

 How should we protected people like you from shooting in their feet
 without bothering those too much that have a good reason to use the
 feature?  The feature is intended for people who do not care at all
 about DOS, Linux, OS/2, Winglows, boot selectors, or whatnot.  There
 are those folks around, allot actually, and they are our ``more
 serious customers'', i.e. often in the corporate environment, where
 the machines run 7*24 hours per week.  We have been embarassing them
 too much with our 2.0.5 attitude of ``install a DOS partition first if
 you can't get the geometry troubles resolved''.  That's the whole
 story why the ``dangerously dedicated'' mode is there.  Perhaps we
 should add this headline to the window, with an emphasize on
 ``dangerously''.

 Again: submit a better warning text, please, or i'll close the PR
 since i fail to see how to `fix' the problem.

 --
 cheers, J"org