Date:      Mon, 14 Sep 1998 18:11:45 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Roger Marquis <marquis@roble.com>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sshd

On Mon, 14 Sep 1998, Studded wrote:
> 	Foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds. I am also in the
> camp of those who disable inetd almost universally, and run sshd
> standalone. Since I don't think either camp is going to convince the
> other, perhaps we should let this drop?

Au contraire, consistency is fundamental to good systems
administration.  KISS and consistency are what keeps the Macintosh
alive despite all odds.  KISS, consistency and efficiency are what
keeps sites with dozens or hundreds of Unix boxes running with high
uptime and a small staff.

If you don't need inetd then it's probably a good idea to disable it
and run all your daemons all the time however most hosts, including
firewalls, do use it.  Is there a significant security (or other)
reason to disable it?

Roger Marquis
Roble Systems Consulting
http://www.roble.com/