Date:      Tue, 15 Dec 2009 23:11:50 -0500
From:      "Glen Barber" <glen.j.barber@gmail.com>
To:        Alexei Troussov <erleya@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: geom provider name change

Alexei Troussov wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I got two equal disks ad10 and ad11 and want to use them as RAID1 via gmirror (I don't boot the system from them).
>
> Some day I'd like to change my hardware config, installing additional SATA controller in my PC. My problem is that device names for my disks ad10 and ad11 will change to, say, ad12 and ad13 respectively.
>
> Do I need to recreate my RAID1 ? or gmirror takes care about that and detects which disk to use?

The boot config for a gmirror(8) configuration is written to the end of
the disk - assuming fstab(5) is configured correctly, you should not have
an issue pulling devices from one machine and inserting them to a machine
with a different hardware configuration or drive enumeration scheme.

--
Glen Barber