Date:      Tue, 27 Nov 2001 16:13:36 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mark Hartley <mark@work.drapple.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Mail server (Sendmail) benchmarking

I'm nearing the deployment phase for a project I'm working on that will involve
the sending of a very large number of relatively small (2k-5k) emails (probably
like 500,000 or more daily).  Just so you know, this is NOT for any kind of a
spamming site.  I'm just curious if anyone has some estimations as to about how
many emails I can reasonably expect one machine running FreeBSD 4.4-SECURE (or
whatever that branch is being called now) with Sendmail to be able to send in a
day.  The machine(s) I'm looking at will be P3-933Mhz with 1GB of RAM.  My main
question is whether I will need to throw more than one machine at this.

I've done some calculations, and 500,000 emails at 5k each is 2.5GB/day.
Dividing that by 86400 (# of seconds/day) I get 28935 bytes/second, but I am
promised by the client that I'll have the bandwidth I need, so I'm just mostly
wondering if the machine will be the limiting factor, or will bandwidth be the
issue?

I'm asking in -isp because this is where I assume the heaviest use of
mailservers would be in an ISP or similar situation.  If this isn't the right
forum, I can ask it in -questions but I thought the people in -isp would have
more similar experience to what I'm asking.

Anyone with any numbers they would be willing to share with me would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks.
Mark.
mark@work.drapple.com