Date:      Fri, 14 Jul 2000 01:36:55 -0700
From:      Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dump takes ages on SCSI. (several times faster on IDE)

On Jul 3,  6:58pm, Mike Smith wrote:

} IDE disks typically default to write-cache enabled (the drive returns the
} command as complete as soon as it's given to the drive), while SCSI disks
} default to write-cache disabled (the drive doesn't return the command as
} complete until it's hit the media).

All the SCSI disks I've seen in the last few years have been shipped
from the factory with write-caching enabled.  I have to remember to
disable it when installing new disks.