Date:      Mon, 28 Aug 2000 12:11:30 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Systems Administrator <geniusj@ods.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Monitor dies and doesn't come back.

[dropping -questions, this is a -CURRENT problem]

On Sunday, 27 August 2000 at 22:28:34 -0400, Systems Administrator wrote:
> I've been having a strange problem recently after installing a new
> harddrive.. the harddrive works fine in other OS's, but in FreeBSD,
> (seemingly after the HD install), the Monitor (CTX VL19") goes into
> powersaving and you cant get it back without doing a cold reboot.. not
> even a warm reboot will work.  I am not sure exactly what is happening
> here, perhaps something borked? I have a Western Digital Caviar 45GB drive
> running at UDMA33.

Well, this isn't the monitor, of course.  Your system is probably
dying a horrible death and not producing any video output.

> ad0: 9671MB <WDC AC310100B> [19650/16/63] at ata0-master using UDMA33
> ad1: 42934MB <WDC WD450AA-00BAA0> [87233/16/63] at ata0-slave using UDMA33
> acd0: CD-RW <PLEXTOR CD-R PX-W8432T> at ata1-master using WDMA2
> acd1: CDROM <FX001DE> at ata1-slave using PIO3
> Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0s1a
> WARNING: / was not properly dismounted

Well, it's not a good idea to put both disks on the same controller
anyway.  What happens if you put the disks on the primaries of each
controller, and the CD-ROMS on the secondaries?  If that doesn't help,
does the system at least work without the 45 GB drive?  Anyway, how
far do you get in the book process?  Can you get into single user mode
the way you are now?

Greg