Date:      Wed, 03 Dec 2003 23:32:28 +0000
From:      "clayton rollins" <crollins666@hotmail.com>
To:        r0tt13@hotmail.com
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Question about security updates.

Hi,

On Dec. 3, 2003 "rotten rottie" <r0tt13@hotmail.com> wrote:

>here is a better example:
>
>As you can see there is no port/package installed called openssh/ssh ....
>
>vanapps01# pkg_info
>cvsup-without-gui-16.1f General network file distribution system op
>VS
>expat-1.95.5        XML 1.0 parser written in C
>ezm3-1.0            Easier, more portable Modula-3 distribution for
>gettext-0.11.5_1    GNU gettext package
>gmake-3.80          GNU version of 'make' utility
>libiconv-1.8_2      A character set conversion library
>libtool-1.3.4_4     Generic shared library support script
>

>But ssh is installed by default during a stand/min install ....
>
>vanapps01# whereis sshd
>sshd: /usr/sbin/sshd /usr/share/man/man8/sshd.8.gz
>/usr/src/secure/usr.sbin/ssh
>
>If you cvsup the src you can build a new one by going in openssh dir and
>typing make sshd ....
>
>vanapps01# pwd
>/usr/src/crypto
>
>vanapps01# ls -la
>total 18
>drwxr-xr-x   6 root  wheel   512 Dec  2 20:48 .
>drwxr-xr-x  20 root  wheel   512 Dec  2 21:22 ..
>-rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel   520 Feb  9  2001 README
>drwxr-xr-x  14 root  wheel  1024 Dec  2 20:45 heimdal
>drwxr-xr-x   5 root  wheel  5120 Dec  2 20:46 openssh
>drwxr-xr-x  15 root  wheel  1024 Dec  2 20:48 openssl
>drwxr-xr-x   6 root  wheel   512 Dec  2 20:48 telnet
>
>My questions pertain to this example .. ie if ssh had a bug which do you
>update ?? src/or ports ?? which is proper ?? Do I not install ssh at
>install time so I can install a port of ssh ?? or is there an easy way and
>I am making it complex ?
>
>Thanks for you help so far ..

<snipped>

This is probably a good example of why technical questions should go
to the masters on freebsd-questions. (In fact, I'm not really allowed to
answer your question here, other than to point to documentation.)

What, on the surface, seems to be a simple newbie question actually
involves far-reaching philosophical and technical implications.

I'm sure they will be willing to give you advice on an install/upgrade
path that suits your needs and clear up any confusion you have about
the ports system. (If not, at least one newbie (me) will be watching for
your message, and I may venture my opinions there, where I will be
corrected if I'm wrong :).)

Peace,
Clayton

Our best dial-up offer is back.  Get MSN Dial-up Internet Service for 6
months @ $9.95/month now! http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup