Date:      Sun, 5 Sep 1999 22:26:43 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Benjamin M. Manes" <maneben@charlie.cns.iit.edu>
To:        jm lammons <jmlchief@flash.net>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: difference between freebsd & linux

Since I am a novice, with minimal UNIX experience, what is the
difference between linux and freeBSD?

wow, now that's a *big* question. There's many, many differences.

bootable OS, and relies on others to (hopefully) build a complete and
secure distrubution. This creates comercial activities, incompatablities,
further security issues, and a mixed set of what applications are
availalbe.

	- *BSDs are a full OS, as the organizations builds the system from
the kernel and onword. Both use the same files at times, such as Xfree86,
but one group extremely carefully packages the system, ensures security,
compatability, etc. An added bonus are the branches (current, stable, and
release), making it very easy to upgrade the system.

Goals:
	- Linux's goal is to be the UNIX for everyone. It tries to do
everything one might want or need. This is also what Windows tried to do.
Both can be viewed as good systems in general, but at each individual task
their quality varies.

	- Each BSD has a different goal. FreeBSD's origional goal was to
be the best UNIX-based x86 server possible. Performance, stability, and
security are important. This is slowly branching out to other platforms,
but the goal is the same.

	NetBSD's goal is for a quality UNIX on every platform. Most
platforms you may come accross, from Sun Sparcs to old HP Apollos are
being developed on.

	OpenBSD's goal is security. Since it split from NetBSD, many
platforms are supported. Its considered the most secure operating system
available, and is used within various government agencies. The project's
HQs resides in Canada to offer stronger encryption (US encryption export
law) and it is claimed no bug that would allow remote access has been
discovered for the past 2 1/2 years.

Also, cross-polination is common in the BSD comunity. NetBSD's USB support
(I believe the first of any UNIX) was ported to the other platforms, as
are security fixes from OpenBSD, etc.

Applications:
	- Linux's pool is far larger then any other UNIX and UNIX-like OS
available. Since most UNIX code is extremely portable, this is not
surprising. Linux also has a larger general user base, so its pool will
grow more rapidly. However, many users continue to complain about how
extremely difficult it is to install programs on Linux systems.

	- All of the BSDs can run Linux programs as-is, with FreeBSD
probably putting the biggest effort at this (helps to be devoted to one
platform). This isn't quite emulation as it goes through the binary, so
performance is generally slightly near or higher then Linux's at running
Linux-native applications.

	FreeBSD maintains a vaste ports collection so adding or removing
applications is a simple job. Unsure about the state of how large or how
easy installation is on other BSDs. I'm sure cross-polination makes it
similar.

License:
	- Linux uses the GNU Public License (GPL) which has plusses and
minusses. The important added bonus is that it ensures that code is always
Open Source and available to anyone who asks. However, this is
restrictive and locks the code, as once more then one person contributes
it is almost impossible to change the license. It also acts like a virus,
as it will "infect" any code that is is built into, or that it is imbedded
from. The idea is it takes the rights from the individual to help the Open
Source community. Thus, calling it free forces a different definition.

	- The BSD License is entirely free, sometimes with only one string
attached. That string is the advertisement clause, which is may or may not
exist depending on the author's desire. This means not only does BSD code
help the Open Source community, it also helps the entire community, as
others can imbed or improve the code and sell their work. This increases
pollination, as anyone is free to use the code.  Micfrosoft, for instance,
uses the BSD network stack for Windows 95 and higher, for instance.

Communities:
	Your millage may vary. Ask someone whose not afraid of potential
flame-fests on lists, or to give opinions via personal mail. I personally
prefer BSD's.

Performance:
	Of course, varies on who the OS is geared towards. Linux is
considerd better as a personal desktop system for x86, while many say
FreeBSD is far superior then Linux as a server. Various reasons.

That's all I can think of offhand. There's the whole heritage thing, but
whether that is important depends on the person, so I left it out. Thanks
for giving me something to do to pass the time. :)

Oh, and for programming in C/C++, it varies. The language is extremely
portable, so how much dependancy is added is the considerable factor. If
any, very little editing is required to port an application in most
circomstances. (that assumes you are not working with the X Windows
System, etc).