Date:      Tue, 17 Sep 2002 18:34:35 -0400
From:      Peter Radcliffe <pir@pir.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: arplookup xx.xxx.xx.xxx failed: host is not on local network

"Crist J. Clark" <crist.clark@attbi.com> probably said:
> This is a netmask problem, but not really the one that other people
> have described. This is how it usually works. Your troubled machine
> above, "servername," receives an ARP who-has from another machine on
> the LAN called "clientname." However, the IP address that clientname
> gives as a source does not match up to any local networks that
> servername knows about.

> Note that this is not a harmless error. These two machine cannot talk
> to each other.
>
> The fix, of course, is to make sure all machines on the same LAN have
> the same netmask.

I get these errors generated on a machine which has the correct
netmask, no static routes, no incorrect routes of any kind.

During a migration there are multiple IP networks on the same physical
switched network, if I connect to one of the machines in the other
network on the same wire, I get that error. I'd like to just turn it
off, since it's annoying.

P.

--
pir                pir-sig@pir.net                 pir-sig@net.tufts.edu