Date:      Mon, 18 Nov 2002 22:13:55 +0100
From:      Marc Fonvieille <blackend@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Moving PGP-keys into share/?

On Mon, Nov 18, 2002 at 08:53:44PM +0100, Martin Heinen wrote:
> I found three ways to integrate books/handbook/pgpkeys/
> into the German handbook:
>
> - Duplicate all files in pgpkeys/
>
>   Keeping a copy of all files ensures that there are
>   no dependencies to other parts of the documentation set.
>   However, this will yield some repository bloat.

Really bad :))
We used to do it for images, now we can use images from en_US tree.
However it's still possible to use localized images (this should be a
little number of file).

> - Use pgpkeys.ent from the en_US tree
>
>   From book.sgml it is possible to use pgpkeys.ent from the
>   en_US tree as done in the French handbook.  This adds
>   a build dependency on the en_US tree for translated versions.

We already have a dependency on images and some other bits.

> - Move PGP-keys into share/
>
>   With this approach all translations could refer to pgpkeys.ent
>   in share/ which circumvents the dependency on the en_US tree.
>   Adding new keys has to be done in two places now.  Especially
>   for the first commits this might be to complicated.

In past I was for that approach but now I'm for the previous one for
some reasons:

- We need the en_US tree for the images, of course we could put them in
  share/ too but Makefiles would be more "complicated" when it will be
  the time to use local images.  And I know too much that problem, when
  I had to deal with ghostscript bugs to make possible the use of en_US
  images from localized docs.

- The en_US tree is always up to date, so people will always grab it,
  so having dependencies is not a problem.

> The subject suggests that I'm biased towards the last approach,
> but the second one is easier to implement and much less work.
> What's the best way to do this?

As I said, to be really independant from the en_US tree, the images
problem has to be fixed.  Using things from en_US tree is the easiest
solution.

Marc