Date:      Fri, 03 Jan 1997 08:30:34 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.dk.tfs.com>
To:        peter@spinner.DIALix.COM (Peter Wemm)
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Did my floppy drive just break or does fdformat no longer work?

In message <5ah9kh$8rh$4@haywire.DIALix.COM>, Peter Wemm writes:

>Just as a BTW, the drive in this machine (spinner) cannot write to
>floppy, whatsoever.  It reports that it succeeded, but reading it afterwards
>returns the original data.  Quite disconcerting.  :-) I've meant to swap
>the drive and cables etc to see if it's hardware, but never got around to
>it (there's another machine right next to it that works fine).

That is why fdwrite(1) actually does a read&compare.  I once wrote a
set of floppies with bin & src dists and found out later that my drive
was shot :-(

Maybe read&compare should be added to the fd driver as an option...

whois: [PHK]                | phk@tfs.com           TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
Power and ignorance is a disgusting cocktail.