Date:      Wed, 9 May 2001 07:21:31 +1000 (EST)
From:      jason andrade <jason@dstc.edu.au>
Cc:        hubs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: We seriously need a cleanup on ftp-master

On Tue, 8 May 2001, Cejka Rudolf wrote:

[...]
> them. I would like to see much lower number of primary mirror sites, but
> with much higher quality and credibility. What about splitting up a list
> of mirror sites into primary (proven, credible) and secondary
> (incomplete, slower) categories?
>
> Imagine 4.4-RELEASE and all 100+ (?) mirror sites syncing
> and waiting for 4.4-release.iso over rsync :-)

from observing redhat releases, there are about 25 "primary" sites - i.e
ones where admins will work to ensure a pre-release is completely available
before an announcement.  the other 100 or so sites tend to catch up at a
rate of anything from a few days, to a few weeks, depending on the size
of their mirror.

but of those 25, i doubt there are more than half a dozen who can offer
a complete (80G+?) redhat mirror.

i'd expect similar numbers with freebsd mirroring.  sometimes the concept
of a "primary" might be more important as having an up to the date release
available than a complete freebsd archive per se.

-jason