Date:      Sat, 31 May 2003 01:42:08 +0200
From:      calvin8@t-online.de (Andi Scharfstein)
To:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: grammar

Hi,

>> > Recently I provided some IT staff with the documentation for a
>> > new piece of software. Many times it said things like "In case
>> > Foo, do Bar". The users (correctly in my view) read that as
>> > advice of a precaution worth taking, and took it.
>>
>> Could this be a .us-vs-.au issue?

> Possibly. If so, I wonder which way the rest of the world goes.

Given this particular instruction, I would have done Bar only if Foo
had occurred... but then again, I'm from Germany, and the terms "if"
and "in case" translate to "falls" and "Im Falle" or "für den Fall,
daß". I think you can easily see the linguistic relatedness.

--
Bye: Andi S.                          mailto:nullpointer@myrealbox.com