Date:      Thu, 24 Aug 1995 17:05:17 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sbin/mount mntopts.h mount.c

As Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > Is what I am saying, is don't change default behavior, make it more
> > flexiable.  Defaults are not sutiable for all sites, so changeing them
>
> As was my motivation behind committing noauto.  How in the dickens did
> we get off in the tangent about modifying rc now??  Maybe we
> should take this off committers? :)

(moved to -hackers)

Well, i'm still claiming that it's not a matter of "noauto" or not,
it's simply inappropriate for most people around to have the multi-
user boot fail simply because the CD didn't mount, while they would
like to have the CD auto-mounted whenever there is a medium in the
drive at boot time (thus, "noauto" wouldn't help).

I'm currently running such a configuration, and i don't think my
machine is too much off the "generic user's expectation" :) in this
area.

The "noauto" thing might have other merits (not typing the full mount
command line, allow non-root mounts), but it's IMHO the wrong
workaround for just _this_ problem..

--
cheers, J"org

joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/