Date:      Fri, 19 Jan 2001 17:04:28 -0800
From:      David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
To:        Mike <mike@sixpak.net>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.2 and X

> Mike wrote:
>
> I've tried installing from CD (4.0)
> I've tried installing from ftp (4.2)
> I've tried installing the 5.0 current
> and in each case somehow the installation goes wacked when it comes to
> X.

When I got 4.2, I decided that I wanted to use XFree86-4.01. So I didn't
install 3.3.6. But it didn't work, and I basically got the same problems
as you. I tried several things to no avail, and wound up with a messed
up system. So I reinstalled and it worked. What I did the second time
differently is unknown. I didn't keep notes.

> What I WANT to do is install minimally, adding things as I learn and grow, not have
> everything but the kitchen sink installed and then try to make sense of it.

It's not the kitchen sink :-) Even if you install all of the
distribution sets you're getting nowhere near what other systems install
as their default. Not even close. Unless you have a tiny drive that you
must work with, I wouldn't worry about it. I would just go with the
defaults in the installation until you know more about what's required
or useful and what isn't.

David