Date:      Sun, 28 Jul 1996 12:55:37 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
To:        Joe Mays - freebsd-isp <fbsd-isp@launchpad.win.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Apache Virtual Website options

On Sun, 28 Jul 1996, Joe Mays - freebsd-isp wrote:
> Does anyone have any input on which method offers more performance
> when you get into the 200-300 virtual website realm?

I don't have any hard performance numbers for you but consider that using
the bind option with 200 virtual hosts will require (with default
settings) 1000 httpds running at all times.

Using the VirtualHost option, you'll only have as many as you really need
running at any one time.  Now that may turn out to be just as many but at
least they are guaranteed to be doing real work, not just eating memory.

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow                                                    714 443 4172
 DPC Systems                                                  dan@dpcsys.com