Date:      Sun, 1 Apr 2001 16:18:40 +0200
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>
Cc:        Eugene Polovnikov <paranoid@brain-fag.org>, net@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: nos-tun & multihomed machines

On Fri, Mar 16, 2001, Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai wrote:
> -On [20010316 10:43], Eugene Polovnikov (paranoid@brain-fag.org) wrote:
> >Please, review the following PR:
> >http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=25847
> >
> >Same patch is in the attach.
>
> Just a question,
>
> the gif interface now part of the system does tunneling as well in as
> much the same way as nos-tun does.  Does gif work for the multihomed
> case?  [I'll otherwise when not getting any responses dig up the answer
> myself.]
> I ask this because it serves no purpose having an IPv4-only [as far as
> my knowledge goes] tunnel application, whilst we have a more flexible
> new solution present.
>
> Translated, does gif do what nos-tun can do and more?  Yes?  Let's rip
> out nos-tun and support the other well maintained solution.

.. and, if you've compiled in the gif interface, you can't actually
open a raw IP socket to the IPIP protocol, since the gif interface
has it.

This isn't documented anywhere, and its bitten me more than once
(the error message returned isn't exactly the most helpful..)

That said, nos-tun is a nice and simple example of how one would use
the tunnel interface in their own program. Perhaps we might want to
move it to /usr/share/examples/ ?

Adrian, who now runs gif instead of nos-tun ..

--
Adrian Chadd			"Programming is like sex:
<adrian@freebsd.org>		   One mistake and you have to support for